Campaign of the Month: August 2011
Le Ballet de l'Acier
Order of the Garter
One of the oldest chivalric orders, the Order of the Garter was created by King Edward III of England in 1348. Originally conceived by Edward as a restoration of the Round Table, the original knights of the order were largely veterans of Edward’s campaigns in France. The number of knights-companion of the Garter is fixed at twenty-six, but ‘extra knights’ are permitted by the statutes.
The Saint George Chapel at Windsor Castle is the site of the order’s annual chapter, held on the saint’s feast day.
Knights of the order are expected to wear the blue garter (in actuality a small belt) signifying membership just below the left knee on all public occasions. A gold collar is worn on ceremonial occasions.