Hôpital Saint Louis

Located among the fields north of the city is the Hôpital Saint-Louis, a pesthouse for the quarantine and treatment of victims of the plague and other communicable diseases. Outbreaks of the plague frequently overwhelmed the staff of the Hôtel-Dieu and other hospitals in Paris, so in 1607 King Henri IV ordered the construction of a new facility on the outskirts of the city. The new hospital, named for Louis IX, the canonized king who died of plague while on crusade, was designed and built by architect Claude de Chastillon, who had also contributed to the building of the Place Royale; indeed, the hospital bears more than a superficial resemblance to the royal plaza in the Marais.

The Hôpital Saint-Louis is only opened when the conditions of the hospitals in Paris warrant it. During the time it’s not in use it tends to be a haven for vagabonds.

Hôpital Saint Louis

Le Ballet de l'Acier Black_Vulmea