Campaign of the Month: August 2011
Le Ballet de l'Acier
The province of Limousin is bordered by Poitou and Marche to the north, Auvergne to the east, Languedoc to the south, and Angoumois to the west. It draws its name from the Lemovici, a tribe of Gallic Celts. Once part of Aquitaine, the province was held by the English for some three hundred years until the French gained control in 1423.
Limousin occupies the western foothills of the central highlands of France, rising from west to east; the east is warm and mild, the west marked by long, cold winters. The province is heavily forested; chestnuts are abundant and a common part of the diet, including a number of chestnut spirits distilled by the Limousinois. Fields of rye and buckwheat provide the local cereal crop; viticulture produces mostly indifferent wines for local consumption. Some small mines provide minerals including lead, copper, tin, and iron. Abundant herds of cattle, makred by their distinctive chestnut red coats, graze the rolling hillsides and provide most of the provincial trade in meat and hides, along with firearms and a small quantity of other metal goods.
Many of the local inhabitants speak Provençal in addition to, or in remote areas to the exclusion of, French.
The governor of Limousin is served by two lieutenants; there are no fortified towns in the province.
Cities, Towns, and Fortresses
- Limoges – the provincial capital
Haute-Limousin (Upper Limousin) —
Basse-Limousin (Lower Limousin) —