Campaign of the Month: August 2011
Le Ballet de l'Acier
Baronato di Faucigny
Located high in the Alps, the Savoyard province of Faucigny is centered on the fertile valley of the Avre River. It is bordered to the north by Chiablese, to the east by the Swiss canton of Valais and the Ducato d’Aoste, to the south by Contea di Tarantasia, and to the west by Contea di Genevese to the west.
The valley was occupied by the time the Romans arrived, and a Roman landowner named Falcinius is said to be the origin for the name of the province. Around 930 a castle was built on a rocky promintory overlooking the Avre. The castle was the regional governmental seat from the eleventh through the thirteenth centuries. The barons of Faucigny dominated the valley of the Arve and its tributaries. During this time, suzerainty over Faucigny was contested between the House of Savoy and the Dauphin de Viennois. In 1253, Pierre II of Savoy acquired Faucigny by marrying Agnès, the daughter of the Baron de Faucigny. Their daughter, Béatrix, inherited the province in 1268. Béatrix married Guigues VII and the lands came under the Dauphin de Viennois. Savoy fought to regain the Faucigny region, but was unsuccessful and Faucigny became part of France in 1349 as part of the purchase from Humbert II de La Tour du Pin, Dauphin de Viennois of the Dauphiné lands. Amadeus VI, Count of Savoy, challenged this purchase and defeated the French in 1354. The Faucigny was transferred to the House of Savoy as part of the peace Treaty of Paris in 1355.
While the Avre valley provides fields of wheat and various fruits, it’s the high mountain meadows and their large herds of black Herens cattle which provide most of the agricultural and commercial output of the province. Firs and some oaks provide timber and pitch. Alum, mined for use as a mordant – a dye fixer – in the production of colored woolens, is mined in the province as well.
The Cities —