Campaign of the Month: August 2011
Le Ballet de l'Acier
Order of Christian Charity
The Order of Christian Charity ( Ordre de la Charité chrétienne ) is an honorific order created by King Henri III in 1589 to honor wounded soldiers of the royal armies. The king created the House of Christian Charity (Maison de la Charité chrétienne), a former convent on the rue des Cordeliers in Paris, as the commandery of the order and ordered the hospitals and infirmaries of France to donate to its upkeep.
Soldiers suffering debilitating wounds while on campaign are eligible to become members of the order. The order does not confer the title of chevalier on its members.
Members wear a badge on their coats consisting of a cross in white satin on a field of blue with embroidered fleur-de-lys in gold surrounding it.