Bishop's Club

The Bishop’s Club is located in the Latin Quarter, on the rue Luxembourg very near the Palais de Luxembourg. Established in 1573, the club’s eponymous bishop is Pierre de Gondi, then bishop of Paris; the founders were creatures of the de Gondi family, and the club served as an informal association for supporting the work of the Parisian prelates.

The club is tastefully appointed, featuring a valuable collection of artwork donated by various members over the years. The cooks of the Bishop’s Club are reputed to be among the best in Paris and the club includes a well-stocked wine cellar – spirits are not served, however. A few gambling tables are located in a discreet salon and a 150 £ table limit is strictly observed; cheating is dealt with harshly by the members. An wealthy procuress may arrange discreet feminine companionship for members.

The members of the Bishop’s Club come from all three estates of France. Not surprisingly it is perhaps the most popular club for members of the clergy in Paris, and it attracts members of the nobility, sword and robe, as well. Wealthy bourgeoisie and officials of the realm are also welcomed. The members are uniformly Catholic, often with Gallican leanings. The club continues its original mission of service to the (now) archbishop of Paris as well as the various abbeys and priories of the city, and to the king as head of the Church in France. Members typically do not wear an identifying pin or medal.

The governors – known as the “canons extraordinary” – consist of a premier chef and three chefs du club, with two treasurers and two secretaries. A small number of managers assist with the day-to-day operation of the club. Annual dues are 25 £.


Bishop's Club

Le Ballet de l'Acier Black_Vulmea