Campaign of the Month: August 2011
Le Ballet de l'Acier
Located along the northeast frontier of France, the province takes its name from the Latin campania , inspired by its similarity to the plains and rolling hills south of Rome. The province is bordered to the north by Picardie and the Spanish Netherlands, to the east by the Duchy of Lorraine, to the south by Bourgogne, and to the west by Île-de-France. The broad central plain of the province , a chalk plateau, is surrounded by a mix of hills and dense forests.
Several large rivers water the province, including the Meuse, Seine, Marne, and Aube. The climate is temperate, with warm summers and wet winters.
Numerous Gaulish tribes inherited the region on the arrival of and subsequent subjugation by the Romans. The province was Christianized by the fifth century, and in 498 Clovis was crowed king of the Franks at Reims, beginning the line of Christian kings of France. Beginning in 1223 with the coronation of Louis VIII, every king of France was crowned at Reims.
A feudal county from the tenth century, Champagne was joined to the royal domaine by King Philippe le Bel in 1284.
The province produces wheat, wine, wool, iron, wood, and cattle on good pastures; small factories produce linen, woolens, and iron ware.
The governor of Champagne is supported by a lieutenant-general, four lieutenants and eighteen city governors.
Cities, Towns, and Castles -
The Landscape -
- Bassigny and the forêt Ardennes
- Brie Champenoise
- Le Vallage
- La Forêt d’Ardenne