Campaign of the Month: August 2011
Le Ballet de l'Acier
Fellows of Saint George
Founded in 1560, the Fellows of Saint George began as a club for expatriate English Catholics studying at the University of Paris. Located on the rue de St Jean de Beauvais, near the Église Saint Joseph des Carmes in the Latin Quarter, the Fellows of Saint George soon attracted gentlemen students from across France and the other Catholic nations of Europe living in Paris. While the club still includes a number of foreign students, today the membership is largely composed of lawyers, magistrates, and bureaucrats living and working in the capital.
The club itself is well-appointed if small, reflecting its modest origins as a gathering place for students; the governors of the club are seeking new accomodations elsewhere, perhaps on the upscale Ile-de-Saint-Louis. The club keeps a well-stocked cellar, but the kitchen is small and dining options limited. Gambling is a popular pastime at the Fellows of Saint George, and bettors are encouraged by a generous table limit of 200 £. Expensive doxies make the rounds among the gentlemen members.
Members of the Fellows of Saint George are most often robe nobles, men elevated by their appointments in the judiciary and bureaucracy. The members are strongly Catholic – Protestants are not permitted by the club’s charter – and one can regularly hear support for the dévot faction at court; the club includes a small number of hardcore ultramontanists as well. Members may wear a small pin or brooch depicting a knight slaying a dragon, or less often a red cross on a white field.
The governors of the Fellows of Saint George includes five chefs du club, three treasurers, three secretaries, and several managers. Annual dues are 30 £.